Thursday, May 5, 2011

When God Speaks

I often hear people ask "how do you know when God speaks to you."  I have pondered this myself as a growing Christian.  I was told many times "when He speaks to you, you will know it."  Well I can honestly say that I had have several occasions where God has spoken to me, and I truly knew it at that moment.  One moment was a couple of years ago while attending a Boys & Girls Club Fundraiser Dinner in our area.  There was a guest speaker there who was sharing her story of faith and dependence on God.  As she spoke, I audibly heard God speak to me in one word -- "Speak."  Now I know that some of you may be skeptic, and even I, at that moment, had to look around to make sure there wasn't someone behind me.  I left that dinner unsure of what God's message really was to me.  Weeks later, I finally went to my pastor and told him of my experience that night and how God had still been "nagging" at my heart.  I needed some guidance and advice as to how to proceed.  The one piece of advice my pastor gave me that day was to start writing.  He told me to write my thoughts down everywhere I went because you never know when you might be able to use that thought in a sermon or devotion.
Later that same year, I was the guest speaker at our Ladies Retreat where I had 3 speaking sessions. I remember this experience as a highlight in my life.  I worked tirelessly for at least a month drafting 3 breakout sessions worth of study.  I dove into my Bible like never before.  God laid it on my heart to discuss how each of us were important to Jesus.  The theme for the weekend was "My Prince Has Come."  The weekend activities focused on women being the princesses in the Kingdom of God and how Jesus sees each of them as beautiful and unique.  God even gave me some awesome application activities that we implemented that weekend that tied in so well with our theme.
In looking back at that weekend, I can honestly say I was scared to death.  My scheduled 45 minute breakout sessions only took me about 20 minutes to deliver.  I was so nervous that I ran right through the material.  Speaking in front of a group was not in my comfort zone, but God already knew that.  I knew before I stood at that podium that I wouldn't be the best speaker or the most beloved speaker these ladies had ever heard, but I truly wanted them to see the heart of the Father through me.  If I achieved this, then it was all a success.  
After this weekend experience, my life started changing -- we were preparing to move, leaving our full-time jobs, and starting a new life in a new place -- and I found it hard to still find the time to write as I had before. Yet I kept writing hoping for those special moments between God and myself.
God has been knocking at my heart again with more fervor about writing again.  So I thought writing on a blog would also help me to "speak" to others in a new way.  I hope to show you the little ideas or thoughts that God gives me or even a peak into my closet, which is not full of roses and sunshine.  In all this, my hope is that you will see the Father through my writing.  Because "when He speaks," who can turn away?
I look forward to sharing more with you along and along on this journey.  Please feel free to share your positive thoughts here as well.  May God bless you today and everyday!

3 comments:

  1. Hooray! So glad you are back to writing! I will be following along!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We did see the Father's heart through you! You did a wonderful job with that retreat and touched so many lives that weekend! I am so proud of you for picking up you "pen" again and creating this blog. I look forward to keeping up with this side of you! i love you my friend!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm climbing aboard your journey, once again;)♥

    ReplyDelete