Friday, May 13, 2011

Keeping My Mouth Shut!

"Set a guard over my mouth O Lord; keep watch over the door of my lips." Psalms 141: 3

How important is our speech?  On any given day, each of us speaks to another person at least 10 times a day -- and that's not counting the times we talk to ourselves!  If you are like me, I have had several times when I have said something that I instantly regretted.  I have had to seek out certain people and apologize for things that I have said said that were hurtful or just plain insensitive.
Many times in Proverbs we are told that our words can wound or hurt.  Also Proverbs tells us that we can be trapped or ensnared by the words of our mouth.  It is vital that we become more aware of the words that we use, as Jesus said that our speech is a reflection of our heart.
Yet God can tame our tongues and use its power to bless others.  Our mouths and words have greater power than we realize and can be used to lift others up or even bring them closer to a relationship with the Lord.  Romans 10:9 says "If you declare with your mouth, "Jesus is Lord," and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved."  In light of this, I pray that God keeps a guard over my mouth and that I use my words to bless others more!

Think about the people or conversations you have had this week.  Did you ever speak words that could be hurtful or maybe even inaccurate?  How many times this week did your words bless others?  Make it a point this weekend to guard your mouth and seek to bless others!

No comments:

Post a Comment