Wednesday, May 25, 2011

The God of all Comforts

"The Spirit of the Sovereign LORD is on me, because the LORD has anointed me to proclaim good news to the poor.  He has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim freedom for the captives and release from darkness for the prisoners, 2 to proclaim the year of the LORD’s favor and the day of vengeance of our God, to comfort all who mourn, 3 and provide for those who grieve in Zion— to bestow on them a crown of beauty instead of ashes, the oil of joy instead of mourning, and a garment of praise instead of a spirit of despair. 
They will be called oaks of righteousness, a planting of the LORD for the display of his splendor."  Isaiah 61:1-3


If anyone has ever had to mourn the loss of a loved one, then you hopefully find great comfort from the words of Isaiah.   I have been blessed by God to have only experienced 3 people very dear to me to depart this earth in my lifetime -- my great-grandmother "Big Granny," my Grandpa, and my Papa.  In almost 35 years, I have been truly blessed to have had so many loved ones still a part of my life -- and now a part of my daughter's life.  The picture above was taken when Alex was a baby (around 6 months old), and I am so very thankful for it!
My Papa died this past February, and his death has been a blow to our family.  He was the hardest working man that I know.  He had a heart for others and tried to use what God had blessed him with to reach out to help others who were in dire straights.  There are days that I think of him and just smile.  I remember the love and laughter he brought to our lives.  Then there are other days that I sit and cry because I miss him so much!
I found this verse again this morning after remembering it from the Esther study by Beth Moore.  I find so much comfort in knowing that the Lord will bind up the brokenhearted, that He will comfort all who mourn.  I believe that God understands our heartache and completely understands our grief.  Yet He also wants us to know that He is the God of all comforts and will provide those who grieve the "oil of joy instead of mourning."  While your heartache may be very real, it doesn't have to consume you.  It does not have to make you a prisoner of your grief.  God will release you from darkness and place on you a "garment of praise instead of a spirit of despair."
Have you recently lost a loved one and need encouragement?  Have you been made a prisoner by grief?  Look to the Lord, the God of all Comforts, to restore your life -- not to forget but to forever remember with praise in your heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment