Friday, June 17, 2011

Fathers

"As a father has compassion on his children, so the Lord has compassion on those who fear him." Psalm 103:13
"Listen, my sons, to a father's instruction; pay attention and gain understanding." Proverbs 4:1

With Father's Day approaching, I thought it would be a good idea to share a word on Fathers.   I heard on the radio this morning that the average American spends $175 on at Mother's Day but only $100 at Father's Day.  While I also believe that Mother's Day is important, I also believe that Fathers should be celebrated and cherished just as much.
The Bible gives clear instruction on the roles of fathers, and how, as children, we should learn from our fathers.  Proverbs 4:1 commands us to gain understanding from our fathers.  I think back to my childhood as my father tried to teach me to play softball.  I am still not sure which of us was more at a disadvantage!  Then when I was 15 years old and ready to start learning to drive, my Daddy took me out for some driving and parking lessons.  Now when anyone complains about the way I drive, I blame it on my Daddy!
Thankfully, my father was also there in my times of need.  When I had really messed up or made a bad decision, my father was there.  Sometimes his presence meant discipline.  Other times he was there with a hug and loads of compassion.   I know now that my Daddy only wanted the best for me.  As I now have a daughter of my own, I understand the parents heart for their children to do better and be better than they themselves once were going up.
 Above is my Daddy and my daughter back at Thanksgiving last year.  I am so thankful to still have my parents in my life!  I want to challenge you to celebrate your Fathers this Father's Day like never before.  Whether still on this earth or not, find a way to celebrate what they meant to you!
Happy Father's Day, Daddy!  Thank you for your selflessness, the way you have always provided for us, and for always loving us! We love you!!!
And last but certainly not least, Happy Father's Day to my wonderful husband!  You are an Awesome Daddy to our baby girl!  Thanks for always providing for us and loving us so much!!!  We love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment