Monday, June 6, 2011

Are You An Encourager?

"Therefore encourage one another and build each other up, just as in fact you are doing." 1 Thessalonians 5:11

As I meditated on this verse, I soon realized that words of affirmation is not my spiritual gift to others.  I really have to think about praising someone or put my mind on encouraging words because it does not come to me automatically.  Honestly, I am probably too selfish, only thinking of myself.  I can sit here and think of at least 5 ladies who are encouragers.  They are gifted with discernment and can build someone up with their words.  Then I think about my husband whose love language is words of affirmation, and again, I think about how I fall short!
God, knowing our gifts and shortcomings, commanded that we encourage one another as in 1 Thessalonians.  Encouraging words can lift a broken spirit, can inspire a passionate heart, and interject love into a relationship.  There are several verses where God talked about encouraging one another: 2 Corinthians 13:11, 1 Thessalonians 4:18, and Hebrews 3:13 to name a few. God knows the importance of encouragement in friendships, marriage, and even as a parent!
Think about your heart.  Are you instinctively an encourager?  Do you seek to build others up with your words? Or are you like me and this is one of your shortcomings?
Lord, I pray that you reveal to me the people that need encouragement and use me to build others up.  May my words bring you glory.  Help me to be more discerning when it comes to people who need encouragement.  Thank you, Lord, for using words of encouragement from others in my own life!  Amen  

No comments:

Post a Comment