Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Listen and Act

"Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves.  Do what it says."  James 1:22 NIV

I open my Bible, read a few passages, say a short prayer, and move on with my day.  I feel proud of myself for a moment as I check my quiet time off my list.  I look down in judgment over those who don't have a daily time with the Lord and find myself even saying a quick prayer for those I deem to be "in need" or "out of God's will."
It is very easy to be prideful, feeling as we have done a good deed by reading a few passages and spending a moment with God.  Yet have we really learned anything?  Did our actions during the day prove that we had listened to the Lord?
James 1:22 we are commanded to go further -- do not just listen to the word but DO what it says!  Put those words into action.  Let the world see Jesus in your heart.  God did not call us into His Kingdom just to sit in a pew and "soak" up the Word.  He commanded that we place His Word in our hearts, go out into the world and preach the gospel, seeking to save the lost and bring all the praises to the Lord.  Have you fulfilled your duty today?

No comments:

Post a Comment